Re: [VHFcontesting] Where Have All the Multi's Gone?

To: Dan Evans <k9zf@yahoo.com>, Dan Evans via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Where Have All the Multi's Gone?
From: Marshall Pochay <wd9exd@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 21:59:18 -0600 (CST)
Hi Terry and everyone, Could someone tell me how these casual operators are
abusing FT8 enough that we are not supposed to work them? I see a casual
operator one that probably wont turn a log in but is just out there making
contacts, They are doing us a favor by being out there, Take Joe KV4HV down in
EL94, Nice guy, Doesn't contest but has no problem taking a phone call from me
to remind him there is a vhf contest going on and gets on and gives out that
grid. And Im not talking about him getting on for a few contacts I have seen
him on for hours. Sorry, Far as I know he is only on ft8 and Im happy to work
him there, I usually send out about 10 emails before a contest to new (Prior)
ft8 contacts I have made inviting them out or on for the contest, I try to give
them a quick explanation on contest mode but I dont really expect them to get
it and have no problem working them in non contest mode.For years I see
complaints about lack of activity, Now we have a chance at new contacts
into new grids and I see a suggestion that a core contest station shouldnt work
them. Please give me a little more detail on what they are doing so wrong that
I shouldnt work them? I only run 4 bands from the em57 qth, I find ft8 way more
productive than ssb/cw unless of course 6 is open, I did manage to work 7 local
stations on 2 fm this january but cant work my own em57 grid on 222 (LOL)I am
lucky I have a good bunch of rovers running the 4 bands and we are covering the
200 to 500 mile range mostly ft8. Yes not being able to move operators around
with ft8 is a problem we need to address, And for that my 222 and 432 scores
suffer but honestly for my qth I am actually seeing a better RATE on 6 and 2
using ft8. In the old days I could call CQ for hours and not get a soul not to
mention in bed by 11 and back up at 5 or 6 am, Now days thanks to Digital aka
FT8 and MSK144 and maybe a little covid19, The EM57 station is active the full
contest period, Yes I have to take a 4 hour nap,
But thats on me, I cant wait to see what this q65 is about, Thanks 73 Marshall
WD9EXD