Re: [VHFcontesting] The impact of the digital modes on the January VHF C

To: "nosigma@aol.com" <nosigma@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] The impact of the digital modes on the January VHF Contest and some suggestions on dealing with those impacts
From: Mark Spencer <mark@alignedsolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2021 11:43:12 -0800
For what it is worth, several years ago I tried encouraging locals who were not
into VHF and up contesting to get on the air during VHF and up contests.

I found the results were mixed and I felt I had to focus working the
individuals in my home grid who I prompted to get on the air.  In turn this
defocused me from making contest QSO's with actual VHF and up contesters who
were several grid squares away.    Very few (if any ?) of the locals who I
prodded into getting on the air ever embraced VHF and up contesting and very
few of them were able to make contacts beyond their own grid or the adjacent
grids.

There may have been some unique geographic issues at play but after some
reflection I felt my efforts were better spent working those who were already
enthused about contesting.  I do still make an effort to work locals if I hear
them on various modes including FM (I typically listen to 146.52 FM when ever I
am contesting) but I no longer go out of my way to prompt them into getting on
the air.

Good luck and 73

Mark S
VE7AFZ