[VHFcontesting] US Antenna Manufacturer

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] US Antenna Manufacturer
From: Howard Reynolds <wa3eoq@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 11:33:47 -0400
I concur with the lack of deep fringe FM Yagis.  When my Channel Master FM
antenna met its demise, I looked everywhere for a replacement.  (A Channel
Master rep even recommended an all-channel TV antenna which he said would
work on FM. Of course, they actually do but not as well as a dedicated FM
Yagi.) Eventually, another Ham (unfortunately now SK) said he had a
Winegard Yagi in his garage that he wasn't using anymore due to the
proliferation of Low Power FM stations precluding reception of DX.  So, I
ended up with that.  It was missing the balun which Winegard had used on
virtually all their TV antennas forever.  It took a few people at Winegard
to understand what I was talking about - hi.  The Winegard Yagi works well
(of course they don't make it anymore) but I'm slowly finding that more and
more low power FMs are showing up either on a nearby adjacent or co-channel
wiping out the DX stations which I prefer.  Dave is correct that the
stations worth listening to are between 88-92MHz; I won't mention the
format which I could live without.  The rest of the dial is rather
worthless with the exception of a few "Oldies" stations (Yes, I'm a Baby
Boomer).  The local FM DJ needs a course in English and a guide of the
correct pronunciation of nearby counties, towns, etc.  I'll be looking for
a replacement when the Winegard wears out - hi.