[WriteLog] wav files and WriteLog

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] wav files and WriteLog
From: sherrick@ameritech.net (Scot Herrick)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 17:48:50 -0000
Hi Bill,

There are two places you can use the 'browse' button in WriteLog as it
relates to .wav files. Those are:

1. From the Port's menu under Setup. It's purpose is to get you to a
directory where you will store your .wav files for the contest. That way
when you press a function key during the contest, WriteLog will go to the
proper directory to get the file. Here is where you can have .wav files
anywhere on the computer. The limitation is that ALL your .wav files for the
contest have to be located here (with some M/M and M/S exceptions). WriteLog
looks in one place for messages, not different places depending upon
function key.

2. From the CW/RTTY/SSB messages window where you tell WriteLog what .wav
file to put in the function key. The Browse button here is expecting you to
import all the messages for function keys from some existing WriteLog
contest on your hard drive. It imports all the messages you stored for that
contest (so it looks for files ending in .wl, not .wav). I think this is
where you are at from your message, but this windows purpose is to import
messages from a different contest, not from a directory.

There is the limitation here that your Function key (let's say F2) must be
named in the .wav file as msg2.wav (with the 2 being the function key
number). This is done so WriteLog can find the right .wav file for the
function key in the directory you specified in #1 above. It also avoids some
problems where if you named it 'f2.wav,' for example as your function key 2
message, and F2AA called you while you also had the alphabet stored as .wav
files, WriteLog will take the 'F2' and send your F2 message instead of
'Foxtrot 2' as you were hoping would happen. So for function key messages,
there is some structure that needs to be followed.

By the way, all the other special characters apply in SSB messages. So '%c
<msg2.wav>' would send the call sign in the QSO entry screen and then the
exchange (if that is what was recorded in msg2.wav).

Somewhat of a long response. Hope it helps.

CU...Scot, K9JY

mailto:scot@k9jy.com
www.k9jy.com