[WriteLog] USB, COM, LPT

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] USB, COM, LPT
From: wa9als@starband.net (wa9als)
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 08:20:55 -0500
Since USB-to-serial adapters are available, it must be possible for a rig
manufacturer to install the reverse in a rig.  It might be OK if they
adhered to standards, but they don't.  IOW, if the "USB to serial adapters"
complied with the same standards that we are used to for the motherboard
serial ports, we would be fine - but they don't.  And I'm told, Microsoft
doesn't even adhere to the full RS-232C standard.  Hee - everyone has their
own "standards".  Yuck though - a rig with a USB port?  I guess it might be
coming, but so far, I mostly hate USB.  I guess if you buy a consumer
computer and just use the usb to attach a couple of things like a printer
and scanner, it might be OK.  However, when you start adding multiple things
and tack on a hub, it seems no 2 configurations behave the same.  I have a
camera that will work on the motherboard USB jacks, but not on a hub
attached to same.

Right now I have my White Heat USB serial adapter plugged into a motherboard
USB jack, and use the adapter for rig control x2 and an external modem.  I
have the camera, external CD/RW, and an iPAQ cradle plugged into the other
motherboard USB jacks, and this is all OK.  However, if I plug a D-link USB
hub into one of the motherboard jacks, some of the above won't work
properly.  ......MUCH LESS FSK or CW!!  HI  Of course, I use the motherboard
serial ports for CW/FSK/PTT.