[WriteLog] CWSS

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] CWSS
From: jbastin@sssnet.com (John E Bastin, K8AJS)
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 14:22:02 -0500
At 6:04 PM +0000 11/1/02, Tom Fitzpatrick offered this for consideration:
>  I figured the different wiring would allow the keyer to remain on
>and either the paddles or the computer could be used.  Guess I'm
>still missing something.

As far as I know, you can't do this with the 1000MP. The internal
keyer is either on or off; you can't have it both ways.

My solution to this has been to use my external home-brew keyer which
has a jack for the iambic paddles and also a jack for a straight key
which effectively bypasses the keyer (it bypasses all the iambic
circuitry and directly keys the solid-state output).

I connect the iambic paddle to the keyer and connect the computer
output to the straight-key jack on the keyer. The output of the
external keyer goes to the key jack on the 1000MP, and the internal
keyer is turned off. This way, it doesn't matter whether I use the
paddles or the computer to key the radio.

The disadvantage to this setup is that the keyer doesn't follow the
WriteLog speed settings, but I've turned that into an advantage by
setting the keyer to a slower speed than I normally run WriteLog. If
someone misses my call the first time, I send it by hand, which
automatically slows it down.

Hope this helps.

   _
  /~\ The ASCII        | J o h n   B a s t i n           K 8 A J S
  \ / Ribbon Campaign  | jbastin@sssnet.com         K8AJS@arrl.net
   X  Against HTML     |       http://www.qsl.net/k8ajs
  / \ Email!           |