[Writelog] RE: fullcallsign.wav voice-keying

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [Writelog] RE: fullcallsign.wav voice-keying
From: "Jamie Dupree" <2004@jdupree.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:29:10 -0500
Rick, K6VVA writes:

Has WriteLog been tweaked yet to first look for a fullcallsign.wav file
and if not found, then play the individual alpha/numeric .wav files?

--

I would love to see more capability for SSB voice files with Writelog.
I use the MK-1100 keyer and it works great on CW for SO2R

I have no idea how much work in terms of code would be needed
to allow the recognition of full .wav call signs.  Currently, Writelog
is limited to two characters in terms of recorded .wav files.

Take Rick's call - K6VVA - Writelog would look first for a
recorded <K6.wav> then <VV.wav> followed by <A.wav>
That can sound a bit choppy when transmitted.

Maybe one small improvement would be to allow Writelog
to recognize three character callsign combinations -
giving you <K6.wav> then <VVA.wav>.   That would
allow people to record prefixes with numbers and suffixes,
providing a much better audio flow.

Another issue is that the SSB .wav files are limited to only the
regular F-keys.  The shifted keys will not store extra pre-recorded
.wav files as they can store CW messages.  Unfortunately,
that does not provide enough room to set up messages for
both CQ'ing and S&P in phone contests with .wav files.

Just some thoughts.  I realize most ops aren't that interested
in voice files right now.  Then again, not many people embraced
CW messages 10 years ago either.  Now if you aren't using them
in a CW contest, I'd be pretty surprised.

Jamie NS3T