Re: [WriteLog] Possible Problem with 10.56C No Problem

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Possible Problem with 10.56C No Problem
From: "Wayne, W5XD" <w5xd@writelog.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 00:39:58 -0000
>So far four ops have reported having the "No Rig" problem, i.e. when
quickly
>tuning up or down the band, the program loses the rig, and it stays lost.
>These were using FT-1000, TS850, and IC756's

I suspect if you redo your survey and ask this time what kind of COMM port
your correspondents are running, you will find a little more commonality.
10.56 introduced a change to work around a bug in a certain COMM port
driver (from microHam) and has apparently found a bug in some other
hardware/driver combination. The change in WL is to notice the COMM port
has quit sending characters and to reset it. It seems I must make WL
even more tolerant of buggy hardware.

To that end, I have posted the following:
Instructions:
1. Download this:
http://www.writelog.com/Downloads/WL1056D_COMMPORT.zip
2. With WriteLog not running, make a copy of the file WriteL32.exe in
WL's \programs folder
3. Unzip the download into WL's \programs folder.

WL will now say its running 10.56D

Wayne

P.S. In the "good old days" where all COMM port hardware was right on the
motherboard, there was only one COMM port driver (which came from Microsoft)
and it was nearly bug free. Now with USB drivers coming from all sorts

of manufacturers, there are many, many drivers out there, and each has

its own failures to comply with the WIN32 API, and we're having to work

through those.