Re: [WriteLog] CQWW Multi-Single with One Chair

To: "'WriteLog Reflector'" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] CQWW Multi-Single with One Chair
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 21:59:09 -0800
AD6E's orignal point is being lost here.

In most contests, the MS category is limited by the number of band changes
in a given time period.  Either no band change for 10 minutes, or a limit of
6 or 8 band changes per clock hours.

This means that the main MS operator is far more limited than the Single-Op
who can change bands as often as they like.  A Single Op can change bands
every QSO, multiple times per minute.  The Single Op can run two pileups on
different bands, or Run on one band while tuning another band and working
stations, or tuning two bands simultaneously for new contacts.

Some of us believe that a MS should have the same freedom of frequency
movement as the Single Op.  The MS limitation in the CQP is based on
operator time in the chair (10 minutes), but the operator is free to change
bands as often as a Single-Op.

This is independent of having one or more additional operators listening on
their own radios to support the MS.

Ed W0YK

Dean 8P6SH wrote:

Cool.

It's just that there is no free lunch. I am set up as SO2R - if I were
having other ops over for a M/S i would definitely do some re-wiring in
order to allow two seperate ops to sit in front of the two radios. That
re-wiring is basically adding a second computer into the setup along with a
seperate voice/cw/rtty interface (uHam). But re-wiring I'd have to do. In
fact I often have to re-wire depending on if I'm doing SOSB efforts where I
might want both the rigs capable of listening and/or transmitting in the
same band. Re-wiring sometimes cannot be helped to keep within the rules
and for safety considerations.

Understand what you're saying but we all play within the same rules and all
the decisions we make in terms of a contest are all part of the overall
strategy. That strategy will not always be maximising score. Sometimes it's
simply working some new countries on 80m or some other band or mentoring a
new contester. Once that's achieved we can't complain about the overall
score - as that wasn't the primary objective.

Have fun whatever category you may enter. Hope to work you during the
season.

73, Dean - 8P6SH / 8P2K - in the 'tests

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 8:26 PM, Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
wrote:

> On Wed,11/26/2014 12:13 PM, Dean St. Hill wrote:
>
>> I don't really see the logic of entering M/S as a SO2R.
>>

> I'll respond to that, because I want exactly the same thing. Thanks to old
> scoring rules, those of us living on the west coast of the US are
> uncompetitive in DX contests, so we don't take them seriously at all. But
> many of us with good stations do want to offer our stations to other hams
> when we're not using them, and we also like to use that sort of contest as
> an opportunity for mentoring less experienced contesters.
>
> My station is set up for SO2R, and that's how I like to operate it. I
> certainly don't want to have to rewire it for a contest, and I don't want
> to take a hit in my contest score because I brought those guys into the
> game.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

*Dean St.Hill*

*Counterpoint Communications Inc*