Re: [Yaesu] Yaesu Warranty on Used FT-897D?

To: Amateur-repairs@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] Yaesu Warranty on Used FT-897D?
From: kd4e <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 14:57:33 +0800
 > Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
> microHAM's warranty also attaches to the device not the owner.
> The only caveat is that the person seeking warranty service
> must have the original invoice to document the original sale
> date.

That makes two, Emtron and microHAM.  More?

And yes, it may cost the manufacturers a tiny bit more but
given that very few rigs ever need warranty service the added
cost would likely be overcome by increased sales.

Marketing:  "We are so certain that our rigs are built
with excellence that we will honor our warranty no
matter who owns the rig during the first year."

Anyone believe that such a marketing approach will not
increase sales?

Or, worse case, sell the rigs and offer a $5. or $10. extra
fee for a transferable warranty.  The company then passes
on the cost, but only if the buyer chooses to accept it.
(The company's implicit lack of confidence in their product
for even one year would remain.  The owner is irrelevant to
the reliability of their product, QA is.)

My experience with most Ham companies has also been
excellent but as prices rise and complexity rises the
buyer's exposure to hugely costly repairs also rises.

Less-than-new cost resales are one way for a manufacturer
to develop potential new customers -- I buy a used rig and
am so satisfied by features and support that when I want
to buy new I go with a familiar & known-reliable company.

IMHO, YMMV ...

Meanwhile, I suppose we have beaten this horse to death!

--

Thanks! & 73,
doc, KD4E