Re: [Yaesu] java or linux tool for VX-5R clone file

To: yaesu@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] java or linux tool for VX-5R clone file
From: kd4e <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 00:32:13 -0400
 > Daniel Seagraves wrote:
>> FireFox, Thunderbird, Seamonkey, OpenOffice, and
>> many other apps started in Linux and were ported
>> to the MS version of windows and to Apple.
>
> Yes, and they were portable by design, rather than running under yet
> another layer of indirection. Portability by indirection (Virtual
> machines, bytecode interpreters, etc) is a waste of everyone's time and a
> crutch. Just because a plethora of java-based mailreaders exist does not
> mean I plan to abandon pine anytime soon.

Precisely (OK, more technically precise.) what I said.

>> There are many many apps that work across platform,
>> we should support that vs proprietary apps.
>
> How about you use whatever solves your problem rather than trying to
> attach religious significance to it?

Huh?  What "religious significance"?  I merely offered
an opinion as to the desirability of accessible and
cross-platform compatible vs proprietary software for
Hams -- in keeping with the long Ham tradition of being
able to make free choices of hardware and software and
to be able modify anything and everything.

Sigh.

> Also, resorting to namecalling both destroys your own argument and makes

I didn't name call, I merely flagged the immaturity
of the name caller.  Check the thread.

This has drifted far afield.  Next time will seriously
consider a private reply and avoid the flames.

--

Thanks! & 73,
doc, KD4E