[3830] NCCC Sprint K6VVA LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, b38@hilding.com
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint K6VVA LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 22:15:57 -0700
                    NCCC Sprint Ladder - July 25

Call: K6VVA
Operator(s): K6VVA
Station: K6VVA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: LOCUST PEAK
Operating Time (hrs): .5

  160:   1      1
   80:   3      1
   40:   7      4
   20:  50     18
-------------------
Total:  61     24  Total Score = 1,464

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

The first time I've broken through the 60 Q barrier Tnx to operating tonight
from Locust Peak (TS-480 @100w, TH3, Jr. @ 25ft & Carolina Windom w/apex circa
40ft).  At 1400ft AMSL, what a difference compared to my normal RF Hole at
350ft looking into mostly big hills.  I think N6ZFO's new QTH is better for
domestic contesting, however, 'cuz Bill stomped me in several pileups a few
times tonight.

K8DD's single comment about his NS experience tonight is what I should have
used for mine last week!  I stayed on 20m too long tonight, so 40/80/160 mults
suffered.  Tnx to Ken/N6RO for my only 160 & 80m Q's, including one rubber
clocker which I'm still going to count --- as others have done in the past :^)

One of my local VHF/UHF pals made the trek to Locust Peak with me tonight, and
there was a big honking rattler on the road just a short way up.  This is one
reason I am terrified about the old pickup possibly crapping out and having to
walk down that long dirt road in the dark by myself.  I keep hacking away at
the remote control issues, but Mr. Murphy has a temporary stranglehold on
things.  He is so stupid, however, because I ***WILL*** prevail when all is
said and done.  It's still been frustrating.

I contemplated doing a 50/50 remote tonight (transmit remotely/receive at
home), but then read the rules that referred me to the NA Sprint Rules which
made further reference to the CQ WW DX Contest rules that ending up axing that
possibility.  I heard a lot of loud signals on 20m tonight, and if I was louder
than normal, the old location-location-location adage made the difference.

Sorry again that I wasn't in Alaska to hand out an AK mult tonight as
originally planned.  I'll try to do one of the next NS Ladder sessions from
there.

Congrats to Ned, K1GU, on his 61st birthday ... to Mork, NN7SS (K6UFO) for
finally breaking 1,000 points, and to all others for personal bests tonight.

I tried to check in on the Post-NS 3830 Net, but the #&^! rig would not
transmit SSB (or else the microphone took a dive).  Bummer, Dudes. N6RO was a
blasting 50 over S9 on Locust Peak.

Tnx to EVERYONE who has ever shown up in the NS (even one time). What a fun
group of folks to hang out with on Thursday nights, and many NS Noobs who are
now also plugging away to improve their CW Contesting skills.  Long live CW
!!!

I have, however, missed my good pal (and friendly fellow NCCC competitor)
Kurt/K7NV during this ladder.

73 & Tnx for all the Q's & fun...

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust