[3830] CQWW SSB K6GEP SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, timgep@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K6GEP SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 22:51:58 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K6GEP
Operator(s): K6GEP
Station: K6GEP

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 19

  160:
   80:   31     9       12
   40:   34    14       18
   20:   52    15       24
   15:   67    17       30
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

This contest was a mixed bag of good and bad, and left me with mixed emotions.
5 years ago, SSB was my favorite contesting mode, now it ranks 3rd behind
RTTY and CW.  SSB is just a tough grind on low power.

I am proud of my scores on 80 and 15 meters.  I set a CQWW personal best
on 80 meters by far, and I think I did as well as I could on 15.  Last
year I would have ranked 15 meters a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 best),
and this year it was a 7.

Even though the bands seemed quiet on 80 and 40, my score on 40 was
way down this year.  I marvel at the number of countries I worked
last year.  I look forward to the re-alignment on 40 next year.
So many ones I couldn't work, like D4C on 7112 simplex.

Sunday morning, DX on 20 meters was like a mirage.  Booming signals out
of Europe, and I could work none of them.  My score was way down on
20.  I finally worked a lot of the caribbian and SA countries the
last hour.

I checked 10m periodically, and nobody there.

I worked about 70 fewer QSO's than last year, and even 5 less than
my rookie effort in 2006.  The same 20m dipole that gave me excellent
results in the CQWW RTTY weekend let me down this time.

No new countries for me, but a couple of band counters:
       J88DR on 15 and C6APR on 80.

Ones that got away:
       VP2V/SP7??, J88DR and YV4A on 80

Good to work our SCCCers 4 bands at HQ3Z.  Have a safe trip home.

73,

Tim K6GEP

Rig:
FT-990

Ants:
80 meter dipole sloping from 50 feet  (drooping due to pulley problem)
40 meter inv vee at 50 feet
20 meter dipole at 20 feet oriented NE
15 meter dipole

SW: N3FJP CQWW Logger