[3830] ARRLDX CW P40W(W2GD) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w2gd@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW P40W(W2GD) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 16:23:01 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: P40W
Operator(s): W2GD
Station: P40W

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Aruba
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:  118    39
   80:  458    56
   40:  545    59
   20:  876    61
   15:  720    60
   10:  939    54
-------------------
Total: 3656   329  Total Score = 3,605,511

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Elecraft K3 + Win-Test Software
160 - Vertical Dipole
80 - Half Square Phased Vert and Inverted V
40 - F12 Delta 240
20/15/10 - F12 C31XR, F12 C4
Beverages NE, N, NW

This was my first (and probably my only) trip to the ARRL DX CW "QRP
rodeo".  Over many years of operating from Aruba I've previously enjoyed
exceptional success operating QRP in both the WPX and CQWW and thought this
year might well be the last chance for a meaningful 5 watt effort in ARRL DX
during this declining solar cycle.  It's inevitable ten meter signals will soon
fade away into the abyss for us all.

>From past experience there are certain things I look (and hope) for when
considering a QRP effort....and it seemed ALL of them fell into place last
weekend:

1. A very low QRN level in both North and South America ... so a relatively
weak signal doesn't get totally lost in the noise - this was by far the most
important event of them all.  Both nights were unexpectedly and exceptionally
quiet....didn't hear a single static crash.

2. Diminished east-west propagation between Europe and USA/VE.  The solar storm
earlier in the week took it's toll, particularly ten meters. OK - this item is a
bit selfish on my part since someone's fun had to be limited by poor conditions
and it seems the activity level suffered in general without a robust EU ten
meter opening.... but it certainly enhances rates for those of us to the south.

3. Low signal absorption on 80 and 160 meters. In essence it seemed low band
propagation was much better than average from the Carib this weekend which made
QRP effective. Post contest analysis of RBNs revealed the WZ7I skimmer in EPA
consistently heard my noise level signal.  Being spotted made all the
difference.

Operating QRP requires one to have a certain "attitude" (or perhaps a
crazy streak as many of you love to tell me).  But running QRP using REAL
ANTENNAS and a 20 db callsign from a location with enhanced north/south
propagation is really not as difficult as most probably imagine, particularly
if your concept of QRP is a makeshift portable operation with a wire strung up
in some apple tree.  Having the equivalent of monobanders 40 through 10 takes
most of the uncertainty out of the equation.

You know and expect from the start to be 40 db weaker than your peers who have
similar antennas and run amplifiers.  It is a matter of adjustment.  An S6 to
S8 signal is totally readable and well above the noise floor in most places.
With just minor tweaks in frequency selection (typically higher in the band or
near the bottom band edge) it is relatively easy to be heard and to hold a
frequency when CQing.  I think K7SS told me decades ago "think loud and
you are loud!"  And in today's world, skimmers and the RBN will almost
always announce your presence instantly.  K1AR has often said "you are not
winning if you are not running" .... so taking John's advice the basic
strategy like in all contests is to be CQing on the highest band with the best
rate....QRP operating is no different.  Ninty-eight percent of the time was
spent running.  The rate sheet shows 15 hours with rates over 100 per hour (and
7 hours were over 140). Operating QRP does have it's downsides....you work
harder for fewer QSOs.  And it can seem down right tedious since you're
constantly CQing and sending your callsign over.....and over.....and
over.....again.

With enhanced conditions (for QRP) it seemed fairly easy to move multipliers
this time.  A big note of THANKS to the 60+ of you who were so kind to agree to
my QSY and/or sked requests....which on the whole were 85% successful.  The mult
totals were no accident....moving rarer mults began early the first night and
continued all weekend.  Again... thanks to all of you for your help.

The first evening 20M and then 40M were clearly the winning place to be....with
rates of 150 or better during the first few hours....sitting 58 khz above the
bottom of the band.  Later 160 was productive several times...particularly when
precipitous manual callouts drew attention to my puny weak signal.  With good
ears and lacking the normal QRN, top band contacts were plentiful, and from my
vantage point, some of the most exciting. The timing of each exchange made all
the difference.

Another QRP operating strategy is to always be on a clear frequency....it does
no good to be buried under someone running 300 times your power....45 db
louder.  I used the Elecraft P3 constantly to identify clear CQ frequencies.
What did we ever do before waterfall displays.

As often said, there is no meters like ten meters, and particularly on Saturday
this was the case.  Had my best hour (165) and the the band was open across the
entire continent almost all day long.  The only exception was somewhat
diminished propagation to VE4-VE6, MT, ID....the northern tier.  I could hear
them weakly....but could not complete any QSOs.

To close out the first day, I was pleasantly surprised when VY1AAA called in on
20 meters at 2359Z....it was an exchange where both stations were S-Zero....just
amazing. Thanks Gerry!  Who said QRP isn't exciting?

The second day was much slower ... particularly for several hours after sunrise
when there was somewhat better east/west prop to EU.  For most of the day the
bands sounded washed out....signals muted.  Finished up the last two hours
mostly on twenty...with occasional trips to 40 to find some easy to ID Canadian
mults. But by and large, search and pounce was non-productive.

As often the case, pre and post contest dinners were the social highlight of
the week.  Thursday evening the P40XM team along with P40LE, P49Y, and P40W got
together for dinner.... and after the final bell, the tradition of the
post-contest dinner was continued with the P40XM team.....one of the advantages
of operating from a small country.

As always I thank my Aruban hosts for their continued kindness over the past 20
years.

73,

John, W2GD

| Hr |  160 |       80 |       40 |       20 |       15 |       10 |   Total

|    |      |          |          |          |          |          |

| 00 |      |          |          |      135 |       17 |          |      152
|
| 01 |      |          |          |      157 |          |          |      157
|
| 02 |    2 |          |      147 |        4 |          |          |      153
|
| 03 |   30 |       86 |        1 |          |          |          |      117
|
| 04 |   16 |       47 |       43 |          |          |          |      106
|
| 05 |    2 |       68 |       24 |          |          |          |       94
|
| 06 |   33 |       47 |       20 |          |          |          |      100
|
| 07 |    4 |       16 |       60 |          |          |          |       80
|
| 08 |    4 |       12 |        2 |          |          |          |       18

| 09 |      |          |          |          |          |          |

| 10 |    1 |       26 |       11 |          |          |          |       38
|
| 11 |      |        4 |       53 |        1 |        5 |          |       63
|
| 12 |      |          |          |       12 |          |          |       12
|
| 13 |      |          |          |       69 |          |          |       69
|
| 14 |      |          |          |       26 |          |      139 |      165
|
| 15 |      |          |          |          |          |      155 |      155
|
| 16 |      |          |          |          |       83 |       52 |      135
|
| 17 |      |          |          |        1 |       70 |       69 |      140
|
| 18 |      |          |          |          |       39 |       32 |       71
|
| 19 |      |          |          |        1 |      148 |        1 |      150
|
| 20 |      |          |          |          |       50 |       50 |      100
|
| 21 |      |          |          |          |          |       56 |       56
|
| 22 |      |          |          |        1 |       96 |       12 |      109
|
| 23 |      |          |        2 |       81 |       12 |          |       95
|
| 00 |      |          |        8 |       79 |          |          |       87
|
| 01 |      |       31 |       25 |        7 |          |          |       63
|
| 02 |    2 |       19 |       52 |          |          |          |       73
|
| 03 |      |        1 |       84 |          |          |          |       85
|
| 04 |   21 |       60 |        2 |          |          |          |       83
|
| 05 |    2 |       25 |          |          |          |          |       27
|
| 06 |    1 |       16 |          |          |          |          |       17