[3830] Salmon Run W7DX(K7RL) SOMixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Salmon Run W7DX(K7RL) SOMixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 04:56:07 +0000
                    Washington State Salmon Run

Call: W7DX
Operator(s): K7RL
Station: K7RL

Class: SOMixed HP
QTH: WA
Operating Time (hrs): 21
Radios: SO2R

  160:    4       0     0
   80:   97      73     0
   40:  132     240     0
   20:  305    1301     0
   15:    1       0     0
   10:    0       0     0
    6:    0       0     0
    2:    0       0     0
----------------------------
Total:  539    1614     0  Mults = 104  Total Score = 503,880

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

A big King Salmon “Thank you” to the WWDXC for allowing me to pilot the
mighty W7DX in the 2018 Salmon Run. My goal was work as many stations as
possible on as many bands as possible so everyone could get the 500 point bonus.
I hope this salmon is in everyone’s log.

Before the start, I didn’t know what to expect with conditions or activity
levels. My goal for the weekend was 2,000 Qs mostly based on potentially slower
activity on Sunday. Happily, that didn’t happen, and my goal was exceeded.

Missed four counties for the sweep: COW, PEND, WAH, WAL.

THE QRN ROCK CONCERT

As the sun went down Saturday night, static levels on the low bands went up, and
up, and up. At some point, I thought it would quiet down, but that never
happened. At the end of the night, I was ready for a break from the noise.

After surviving the QRN rock concert the night before, I was looking forward to
the quiet of 20m the next morning. My optimism was short lived. The band was
slammed with ridiculous QRN levels just like the low bands the night before.
BRUTAL.

I struggled with repeats for several hours before the band sounded somewhat
normal again. Thanks to all for your patience and repeats.

R.I.P. 15M

My only Q on 15m was with N8II, the beacon of West Virginia, after a QSY from
20m. He was barely audible on CW. I kept checking the band for ANY activity and
even tried CQing for a while with the second radio.

Zero. Nothing. Zilch. Nada.

Geez, did I miss to the 2.6 second opening at 18:32z?

It’s going to be a tough contest season without 15m (gulp).

RETURNING W7DX - NO DENTS OR SCRATCHES

After a thorough wash and wax, I’m returning W7DX back to club garage with a
full tank of gas and no fishy smell. Thanks to all for the Qs and a fun weekend!

73, Mitch, K7RL