[3830] CWopsT K9ZO Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CWopsT K9ZO Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 15:13:00 +0000
                    CWops Test (CWT) - 1300Z Jul 13

Call: K9ZO
Operator(s): K9ZO
Station: K9ZO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 1
OpMode: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:   74
   20:   47
   15:
   10:
------------
Total:  121  Mults = 118  Total Score = 14,278

Club: Metro DX Club

Comments:

Many, many years ago I used SO2R. I always burned out receiver front ends!  This
past weekend I hosted WT2P for the IARU contest and we started a rudimentary
SO2R configuration - Antenna Genius via wired LAN, band switching rand rotor
control with Green Heron.  Bandpass filter on 40 M only, manual switching of the
Comtek ACB-4 80 M 4 square controller. It worked well for him with not burps on
S&P with one Flex 6600 slice on 40 meters all the time and automatic band
changes for the others.  We were not able to figure out the documentation for a
Stack Match and GH Everywhere so did not use the 80 M inverted vee.  The first
improvement should be separating the 40/80 M fan inverted vee which use the same
feedline.

On Monday morning a 12V supply went bad. I felt sorry because it was one that
went with us on the VP8ORK DXpedition.  I realized I had not spares, so put all
the Flex gear on a single supply.  The other supply was used in the garage for
the Antenna Genius.  The only power supplies in town are for sale at the local
pawn shop. I will have to check prices since they are heavy full wave bridge
supplies.

After tech support from WT2P last night I got things running.  I did not take
advantage of the flexibility.  I think 40 was good and often had a run going,
but did manage to make some quick band changes, however, I still need to work
out receiving on two bands at once or tuning while an exchange is being given on
another band.

My goal was 50, then 100 QSOs. I made 121.  I felt there was a lot of clutter by
having spots show on the Maestro, and think the band maps might be better.
Incorrect spots posed a cluttering problem.

I'll be back in the afternoon.  I have lots of work - cleaning up branches from
a storm, fixing open wire feedline that I will use for folded dipoles, etc. It
never ends.

I have most of the pieces collected for a 4 square on 40. I need to add bolts to
the 80 meter 4 square and want to change controllers to get omni direction and
perhaps 8 directions, but must be compatible with Green Heron.  Ned control
cable or solar/battery at the center of the array.

Yesterday's big event was rescuing a ground hog from the window well, but he
damaged the vinyl window frame and well cover, so there is more work to be
done!

KE9UA visited yesterday.  I is always so helpful getting me started on solving
technical issues.  I have a lead on a 1.5KW 2 M amp to use for EME.  That will
be a big project, but I have collected most of what I need to get started.  The
big frustration will be getting a tower permit (or two) and putting up a tower
before the fall.

So much to do. I need a high school aged assistant who is interested in learning
radio!