[AMPS] 8877 Step-Start/Warmup

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 8877 Step-Start/Warmup
From: philk5pc@connect.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 14:07:48 -0500
Let us put this thread into perspective by looking at a typical
circuit.

The step-start relays in my amp close 800 ms after applying power.
It is there primarily to allow the filter capacitor in the HV supply
to charge up to 80% of its storage capacity. It does this very well.

As an added bonus and protection, since the filament winding is also
on the HV transformer, the tube heaters also get 800 ms of current limiting.

To satisfy all sides in this discussion, I then set my 3 minute timer to
181 seconds. Now I hope Eimac, W8JI, AG6K, et al are happy with me! I
think I have satisfied all requirements and am treating my tubes as nicely
as I can, until the P5 comes up anyway!

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC