[AMPS] Experience with K2AW rectifiers anyone?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Experience with K2AW rectifiers anyone?
From: mai@iquest.net (Patrick Croft)
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 11:13:51 -0400 (EDT)
Hello Tom,

Wow~! What a can my comment opened on this one.  I'm glad to see as it helps
us all learn, at least I have.
I stated writing a reply to the whys and hows when another email arrived
from Ian, G3SEK.  His reply to your inquiry is far better technically than
where I was going, so I'll forward it to you.

The only thing I'd add is a comment relating to the different levels of
component manufacturing that is common in todays world.  Recall that years
ago we held MIL SPEC in high regard because of the reputation of the TESTS
these components survived to be mil spec grade.  The parts were basic parts
that were pulled out of typical production line runs, but with extensive
testing before getting the mil stamp.  Various levels/grades evolved from
this testing, ie: commercial, industrial, user, etc. That was required due
to the wide variance within the manufacturing process.  Improved technology
and improved controls currently possible have made the differences minimal
for the most part (not including junk remarked parts, etc).  Today when
someone uses the terms 'mil spec', 'mil type', 'commercial duty' or what
ever I suggest one look closely.  The chance is high marketing is more
involved than true quality level (sans certification of course!).

The high volume consumer market and the throw-away user cycle has allowed
the culls of production to find a home also.  I'm not saying all consumer
rated components are junk, just that most are on the lower end of the
quality scale.  This includes microwave diode blocks.

Bests Regards,
Patrick
WB9IQI