[AMPS] PA Recommendation Wanted

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] PA Recommendation Wanted
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 97 12:59:44 -0700
>Features include smooth vernier
>and the appropriate meters.  The unit is heavy and well constructed.  The
>variables caps are wide spaced.  ... ...

However, a tune-C that has a wider spacing than the open contacts on the
bandswitch is, in my un"expert" opinion, an open invitation to toasted
bandswitch contacts.  During a 'glitch', by far the safest thing to arc
is the tune-C.  Or, in other words, you can't file down evaporated band
switch.   Heath learned this lesson the hard way when they supposedly
upgraded the SB-221 by installing a wider spaced tune-C.

> ... ... A lot has not been said about these QRO
>amps here on the reflector...and I hope they do not become a target for the
>critics and the naysayers.

Critics/naysayers/"experts" who technoblather turn themselves into large
targets, Lee.

 How to evaluate QRO's  amplifier design:
1.  Is the grid bias V adjustable?
2.  Is the amplifier neutralized at operating frequencies above about
10MHz?
3.  Is the grid terminating R connected as directly as is practicable to
the grid?
4.  Is the screen V for the 4cx800s obtained through a R that is
connected to the anode supply, and is the screen voltage regulated by a
string shunt of c. 20v, 5w zeners?
5.  Does the amplifier use high VHF-Q/high VHF-Rp VHF parasitic
suppressors?
6.  Is the heater voltage easily measureable and adjustable,
sans-soldering?

notes for 1 - 5:
1.   The bias V needs to be adjustable so that the operator can adjust
the amplifier for virtually zero grid current at a variety of common
drive levels.
2.  Eimac recommends neutralization for virtually all tetrodes.  I
learned this lesson the hard way, by first making the mistake of
listening to a number of amplifier "experts".
3.  This is a VHF stability issue.  (note: the cold end of this resistor
needs to be triple-bypassed with capacitors that exhibit capacitive
reactance at the low end of HF, at the high end of HF, and at the anode
circuit's VHF resonance).  IMO, a satisfactory test for capacitor
resonance can be performed by clamping the DUT in a copper-jawed vice and
dipping the DUT with a dipmeter.  IMO, it's important to keep in mind
that above it's self-resonance, a capacitor looks like a choke.
4.   4cx800s have tender screens with a proclivity for potentially-fatal
current reversal.  The safest kind of screen protection for these guys is
automatic current-limiting, with loss of anode-V protection, both of
which the described circuit provides.  The zener-string  shunt regulator
handles reverse screen current with ease.  (another Eimac idea)  A rotary
switch for changing the zener tap would be nice for adjusting the ZSAC
after setting the grid bias V for zero grid current.
5. Higher VHF-Rp in the VHF suppressor means higher VHF
voltage-amplifiction.
... < http://www.vcnet.com/measures/Rp_comp.html>
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K