[AMPS] PA Recommendation Wanted

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] PA Recommendation Wanted
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 15:16:18 -1000
At 06:41 PM 6/6/97 -0500, Roderick M. Fitz-Randolph wrote:

>As an ex-Alpha 87A owner, I would urge you (for your own sake) to purchase
>the HF-2500DX.  I also looked closely at it while at Dayton and I am
>convinced that it is the better choice.
>
>I hadn't owned the 87A more than three months before I had to send it back
>to Colorado (after removing the transformer) and then getting it back (and
>replacing the transformer) because I attempted to turn it on 6 times in a
>row, whereupon the internal computer shut it down, period!!!  Nothing I
>could do would bring it back up.  I called ETO and they said that the only
>solution was to ship it back to Colorado.  4 weeks later, I got it back...
>and immediately put it up for sale. The poor devil that bought it has had
>it back to ETO on three separate occasions in less than a year.

Aloha,  I bought my 87A in late 1991,  about 5 1/2 years ago.  Have
NEVER had a problem with it:  CW, SSB or RTTY.  As I am in a tropical
climate,  I use the extra added fan available (mounts outside the
case,  on the back;  and is a bit noisy!).

Of course,  I have managed to cause the unit to "fault" to off.
However,  upon determining the reason via the flashing fault
code lights,  it has ALWAYS been my fault.  By the way have
never had a problem with alleged output spikes from  either
transciever I use to drive it:  TS-950SDX or FT-1000D (usually
use the 950 on SSB,  very nice audio;  and use the 1000D
for CW and RTTY, using K6STI RITTY/SB16 RTTY computer "modem").

I am delighted with the 87A!!  Have not had the case open since
placing the amp in position on my op table.

Very 73,

Jim, KH7M
On the Garden Island of Kauai