km1h: Re: [AMPS] Run a pair of 4-1000's?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: km1h: Re: [AMPS] Run a pair of 4-1000's?
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 08:25:10 EDT

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997 10:25:36 -0700 "Lane C. Zeitler" <km3g@cts.com>
writes:
>I am considering building a deck that will run a pair of these old
>workhorses. The supply that I have already built up can provide up to
>5500vdc at 1.2 amps ccs, 1.8 amps icas. I have two vac. variables
>already.
>One rated at 12kv 2000pF and another rated at 10kv 2000pF. I still
>need
>some parts.
>
>Wondering what the group thinks about using these tubes as a pair with
>Ep
>at 5.5kvdc. I am trying to achieve 4kW or more output. I am
>considering
>these tubes because I have about a half dozen on hand and the
>replacement
>costs are pretty low.
>
>Lane KM3G
>San Diego
>km3g@cts.com
>619- 470- 6528

That 5500V is about the limit I would reccomend unless you are prepared
for serious construction and stabilizing practices.
At only 4KW you can easily get away with an old B&W tank circuit with a
few mods.

Carefully run-in old pull tubes; after many years on the shelf they tend
to get a bit of gas.

One of those 2000pf vacuums is fine for the output 80-10M but you
probably could switch in another 1000pf for 160. The input cap needs only
a 500pf vacuum for 160-10 with plenty of  tuning room on 160. The main
thing is to select a unit that has a very low ~7 to 10pf minimum C so you
can tune 10M without resorting to tricks.

In GG, figure on 250W or so of drive for 4KW with average tubes.

Dunno if you have the input network and etc all figured out yet...thats
another subject.

73....Carl  KM1H