[AMPS] Re: Linear Amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Linear Amps
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 97 04:54:51 -0700
>From your comments on the reflector I believe you know what you want to
>say but your words can lead people astray.  For instance,
>
>"Push-push RF linear amplifiers are only capable of amplifying
>single-frequency sinewaves."
>
>How about FM signals?  How about CW signals?  How about single sideband
>signals?  None of these are single frequency sinewaves.

You are right, Dennis.  Technically speaking SSB, CW, et cetera, are not
a single frequency.  However, the bandwidth of a typical RF linear
amplifier is relatively narrow, being confined to the band of operation.
If one moves a couple of hundred KHz on the 7MHz or 3.5MHz bands, the
amplifier needs to be retuned.  When the bandswitch is on 7MHz, the
amplifier won't amplify 3.5MHz or 14MHz sine waves.  When the bandswitch
is on 14MHz, the amplifier won't amplify 7MHz or 3.5MHz sine waves.
Neither will such an amplifier amplify any wave form other than a sine
wave.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K