[AMPS] AL-1500

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL-1500
From: k5na@bga.com (Richard L. King)
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 17:06:40
At 09:33 PM 12/1/97 -0500, you wrote:

>I'm not an owner of a 1500 but have used one in a couple of contests. Find
>it a pain to have to worry about the grid trip all the time. It seems to
>take a long time to tune if you don't want to trip the grid. I prefer our
>other amp, a pair of 3-500s where brute force and ignorance is
acceptable(2k-3)

I used a AL1500 this weekend and found band changing to be easy and quick.
This is how:

Tune up carefully on all bands before the contest and make a chart showing
the loading setting for each band. Then when you need to change bands do this:

1. Turn exciter power all the way down.

2. Select new band with band switch.

3. Set load control to preset from the above chart.

4. Apply power to amp and move tuning control to maximum output.

5. Slowly advance exciter drive until you get 50ma grid current.

6. Start operating.

I found that I could do a band change using this procedure in about 15 to
20 seconds.

I also agree that the Henry 2K series of amps were idiot proof for operator
goofs.

73, Richard
K5NA@BGA.COM
http://www.realtime.net/~k5na