[AMPS] AL-1500

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL-1500
From: w5hvv@aeneas.net (Roderick M. Fitz-Randolph)
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 21:07:29 -0600
>Hey Rod,
>
>How do you like the 1500?  I would like to work my way up to that amp
>someday (or a Al-1200).  Have you had it up on 17 meters at all?  Does it
>produce1500 watts on all the bands?
The AL-1200 might be the better choice if you are running a 100W rig,
because the 100 watts will pump the AL-1200 to 1500 watts output without
fear of overdriving it.  The AL-1500 only requires 60 watts to obtain
1500 watts output and I have to watch the drive rather closely to stay
legal.  If I load it heavily enough so that the grid drive does not do
more than just wiggle the needle on voice peaks (and drive it with 100
watts) it will pin the needle on my Drake W-4 wattmeter at 2,000 watts
HARD!  It is an awesome amp. Incidentally, I normally drive it only to
1500 watts output because I want it to last as long as I do.

The only, (stress ONLY) complaint I've had is that the squirrel cage
blower frame is metal and the metal flange is bolted to the metal chassis
and that allows a transfer of vibration (and noise) to be transmitted
mechanically through the chassis and cabinet.  I reduced it to an
acceptable level by putting a 1/8 inch thick, high-temperature, silicon
rubber gasket between the squirrelcage blower and the chassis.  I obtained
the silicon rubber from Ameritron.

I am most pleased with the ruggedness of the amplifier and the 8877 tube
is inherently so stable that it does not require parasitic suppression!!!
Also, it will allow operation on antennas with an SWR as high as 3:1 -
which many of the so-called "optimum", self-tuning and  adjusting amps
won't do!

I sold my Alpha 87A and bought the AL-1500.  I am happy I did.  It is
noisier and not as pretty and not as prestigious but it sure is a lot
less tempermental about SWR, etc.

Rod, N5HV
w5hvv@aeneas.net