[AMPS] parasitic suppressors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] parasitic suppressors
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 15:53:19 +0000
Peter Chadwick wrote:

>Just to add to the debate, I haven't seen anyone come up with a boiling
>point temperature for gold in a vacuum - if it's lower than at
>atmospheric pressure, then the arguments about grid temperature take on
>a new dimension.

The normal definition of "boiling point" is the temperature at which the
vapor pressure of the liquid or solid equals the surrounding pressure -
which is rather meaningless under high-vacuum conditions.

What matters is the absolute vapour pressure of the gold - or any other
contaminant of a totally "clean" vacuum - and its effect on the
performance of the tube.

I used to know enough physical chemistry to be able to estimate vapour
pressure as a function of temperature, starting out from other data
about the material, but I'm not sure that the approximations would hold
up under vacuum conditions.

One thing I do remember from high-vacuum work is that our normal "feel"
for how much power it takes to heat up an object like a resistor is WAY
off when the object is in a vacuum. When there is no air to provide
convective cooling, temperatures shoot up very quickly.

I could quite believe that in a vacuum tube, only a few seconds of
"normal" overdrive (as opposed to a huge transient) might to heat up the
grid to a temperature high enough to mobilize the gold.

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek