[AMPS] parasitic suppressors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] parasitic suppressors
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 97 19:14:51 -0800
>>The vacuum in power grid tubes is high.
>
>Yes, so it's all the more easily affected by very minor contamination.

Contamination inside an 8877?
..... ... ...
>>According to one chem. data book, the boiling point of gold is 2966
>>degrees C, at a pressure of one atmosphere.  In a high vacuum it says
>>that slow evaporation is possible at lower temperatures, however, it says
>>nothing about the boiling point in a high vacuum.
>
>That's right, it wouldn't, because the concept of "boiling point" ceases
>to apply. You have to think in terms of vapor pressure (which is not
>significantly affected by the external pressure or vacuum) and the
>effect of that vapor on the vacuum conditions.
When one sees gold blisters, it seems likely that boiling took place.
... ...
>>True, although the additional power needed to raise an object in a
>>black-chamber-vacuum to a specific temperature is a function of T^4.   In
>>1986, an Eimac engineer said that gold-sputtering was due to an
>>oscillation condition.
>
>Sorry, I don't see how those two sentences are related.
  According to Stephan's Law, far more joules than are available from the
driver would be required to elevate the grid to such a temperature.
However, an oscillation condition could boil off thin layers of gold - as
the 8877's designers reportedly concluded.

>Sure, I've seen them - I check in your web pages regularly because they
>are always interesting! The post-mortem evidence is not in dispute; all
>the questions are about the interpretation of the cause of death.
If the naysayers are so sure that the cause is not parasitics, why have
they not sent me a kaput tube for disassembly and photography?  If gold
is evaporating from an arc, why is the evaporation uniform, and why is
there no arc mark?.
>> The event that causes the damage apparently happens suddenly.
>>-   IMO, overdrive tends to dislodge patches of cathode coating, without
>>damaging the gold plating on the grid.  {photograph in September 1990
>>article "Parasitics Revisited".}
>
>That's my problem: how can you know these things?
By looking at the photo.  The cathode coating is flaking off, the gold
plating is not.
>We can only see the
>after-effects, and have no direct evidence about the causes... it's all
>a matter of interpretation and "IMO".

If overdriving killed the tube, why is the grid in mint condition?

cheers, Ian
Rich...

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K