[AMPS] parasitic suppressors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] parasitic suppressors
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 18:24:14 EST
On Thu, 11 Dec 1997 22:10:22 +0000 "Ian White, G3SEK"
<G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk> writes:
>km1h @ juno.com wrote (replying to me):
>
>>>Let's try to stay with detailed circuit analysis, and not fall back
>>>vague arguments based on "lots of RF around".
>>
>>I would love to if you would be so kind to tell me exactly what
>>transpires during a Big Bang internal gas arc Ian.  After all these
>>months there have been nothing BUT vague comments.
>>
>>As far as my comments about RF floating around I feel it deserves
>serious
>>consideration and not a flippant put-down.
>
>Sorry, Carl, I didn't mean that to come across as flippant. I was just
>trying to encourage everybody not to back away into generalities when
>things become hard to explain.
>
>Since the transients that we're  talking about are close to
>unmeasurable
>in practical terms, the only tools we have left are detailed analysis
>of
>the possible mechanisms and their effects. RF pickup by other parts of
>the circuit might be one of those mechanisms, but we'll never know
>unless we test the suggestion in as much detail as we can.

Ian, actual measurement may be an incredibly difficult  task but I would
suggest that viewing on instruments is not insurmountable. I would be
hard pressed to believe that real RF engineers at real companies have not
already done so. It is possible that the "ham" community is a bit lacking
in this area.
After all, this list only represents a very tiny percentage of the
expertise out there.

73   Carl   KM1H