[AMPS] Viewstar PT1000

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Viewstar PT1000
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 98 03:54:32 -0800
>I recently purchased one of these amps and just brought it home yesterday.
>This morning when I took it out to the ham shack, it slipped out of my hand
>and dropped onto the operating table.  Everything seemed physically intact
>but when I try to load the amp with about fifty watts drive the plate cap
>starts to arc.  I don't know yet but may need to replace the cap or other
>parts.

If the  Tune capacitor's plates are not bent from being dropped, the
arcing may be due to an intermittent instability problem around 100MHz.
You can check this out by placing a wavemeter near the Tune C.  To find
out where to set the wavemeter, pull the mains plug, couple a dipmeter
the the hv dc blocking C.  You should find a sharp dip.  Read the freq.
and set the wavemeter accordingly.  If and when the Tune C arcs, you
should see a large indication on the wavemeter.  //  Another way to check
this out is with a vhf field strength meter/spike ant.  like you would
use to check out a 2m handytalky.   If the vhf FS meter pegs out when the
Tune C arcs, chances are you have a vhf oscillation present.

>does anyone on this list know where I can locate parts for it?

Maybe you don't need replacement parts.  Maybe you need lower vhf Q
parasite suppressors, Kevin?.  Doing so would reduce the vhf
amplification at the anode circuit resonance by about one half.
- later -

cheers
Rich...

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K