[AMPS] Re: Parasitics

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Parasitics
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Tue, 19 May 98 16:05:03 -0800
To: <amps@contesting.com>
>>> Date:          Fri, 15 May 1998 19:10:08 -0500
>>
>>> I think that's pretty cool!  It shows that Rich's supressor idea *DOES*
>>> indeed work.  In a sense you are getting extra resistance out of the
>>> inductor.  And that extra gives you a lower Rp which means lower VHF gain!
>>
>>Hi Jon,
>>
>>Can you explain how lower Rp in the suppressor produces less VHF
>>gain?
>>
>>If lower Rp means LESS gain, why use a suppressor Jon? What is the Rp
>>of a dead short?

The answer is 0-ohms.  .  However, if the VHF suppressor R (Rs) is a dead
short, then the suppressor inductor (Ls) is shorted out and there is no
suppressive effect because there is no longer a semi-equal division of
VHF current in the Ls/Rs suppressor.

>Arrgh!  I thought we worked through all that math!  Gain is directly
>proportional to Rp.  Rp is different from the R of the supressor
>resistor.  Did you not just read Ian's notes?  Anyhow, if gain is
>proportional to Rp doesn't it makes sense you want to lower it?
>
>So that's why......

However, like Murphy said, things are usually more complicated than they
look.

>>It isn't the nichrome suppressor won't work, it's just that:
>>2.) Lower Rp is not always a good idea.

Good point, Mr. Rauch.  One suppressor design consideration is fairly
equal distribution of current through Rs and Ls at the anode-resonance
frequency.  Another consideration is to reduce Rp in order to reduce VHF
amplification --  but without destroying Rs at 28mHz.

>You cricizie the "hairpins."  What difference does it make what kind of
>inductor one uses?  It still has inductance?

 90nH is 90nH whether it's a one turn coil,  a ten turn coil, or c. 5.5"
of straight wire.  A U/hairpin/one-turn-inductor parasitic suppressor
works ok on single tube amplifiers, however, on multi-tube amplifiers,
compact coil-inductor suppressors are easier to decouple from each other.
 .

>Please explain why lower Rp is not always good.

see above

Rich...