[AMPS] Re: Parasitics

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Parasitics
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 20 May 98 16:47:15 -0800
To: <amps@contesting.com>
>> Date:          Wed, 20 May 1998 08:57:17 -0400
>> From:          Bill Cotter <bcotter@pop.uky.edu>
>
>Hi Bill,
>
>> How can the application of a grid resistor (as a fuse) be harmful?
>
>The suggestion is that a resistor be used to provide current limiting
>for faults, and to provide overcurrent protection in operation. The
>most harmful part of that suggestion is advice given that suggests
>an amp owner doesn't need fast electronic overload systems, and that
>they should be removed!

If the electronic protection circuit shorts during a major fault, which
hardly seems to be uncommon, there is no grid current protection.  It is
my opinion that a foolproof, frangible reasistor is a more reliable.

>1.) The proper place, and by far the best place, to install a current
>limiting impedance is in the anode supply line. If you depend on a
>grid resitor for fault protection, it allows the grid to reach anode
>voltage during a fault.

That why I use a current limiting resistor in the anode current path And
a current limiting resistor in the grid current path.  However, in 8877s
and the like, the grid should be directly grounded, and a.
In this case, the grid fuse R goes in series with the grid-I meter shunt.
 A 50-120 V MOV should be connected in parallel with the grid fuse-R.

> This directly couples the anode supply to the
>catode, because the grid is heavily forward biased.

However, when a grid fuse-R opens, grid current stops.

>It also
>encourages a direct arc from anode to cathode, since the shielding
>effect of the grid is reduced or eliminated.

Not if the grid is bypassed with low V disc ceramic capacitors.

>2.) Fuses are bad enough for protecting grids. Fuses have thermal lag,

How much lag does a Collector-Emitter shorted transistor have?

>and unreliable time and ambient temperature dependent opening
>currents. If you select a fuse close to the maximum desired current,
>it generally will fail from fatigue at some point in time. If you
>select one with enough headroom to prevent fatigue, it will not fail
>faster than many grids.

My guess is that he is guessing.

>3.) Resistors are worse. They not even designed to be fuses.
>Many small resistors take hundreds of amperes for milliseconds to
>fail, and some even fail in a low resistance mode!

That's why we use 30 ohm, 1/2w carbon film resistors instead of metal
film resistors.

>> Is there any harm in replacing the normal choke with a resistor?
>
>A resistor is better than a choke, but the best solution is to ground
>the grids unless you are using the grid impedance for some sound
>reason that outweighs loss of cathode circuit arc protection.
>
>The stuff about negative feedback or better stability is *mostly*
>nonsense.

Why?  In a TL-922 the coax that connects the tuned inputs to the cathodes
is resonant near the anode-resonance freq of 130 or so MHz.  In a SB-220,
a similar situation exists.

>That can be proven with measurements and circuit analysis.

When I used standard AC circuit analysis to show that your assertion that
virtually no VHF current flows in a typical VHF suppressor "coil" was off
the mark, you summarily dismissed the calculations.

>I can't think of many reasons to float a grid in a triode GG amp,
>unless you want to decrease stability.

In a TL-922, or a SB-220, directly grounding the grids slightly decreases
the grid's resonant frequency.

Rich...