[AMPS] Re: Parasitics

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Parasitics
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 20 May 98 17:22:54 -0800
>Tom Rauch wrote:
>>> Rp is different from the R of the supressor
>>> resistor.  Did you not just read Ian's notes?
>>
>>No, I deleted most of the messages that built up over three days.
>>Ian almost never needs checked. By the way, it would be better if we
>>avoided jargon like Rp. Rp means different things in different
>>applications, and use of excessive jargon can confuse everyone.
>>

>I mean the same as the textbooks mean, and the same as Wes Stewart
>meant, namely: when the whole network is considered as a single
>equivalent resistance and a single equivalent reactance in parallel,
>then that resistance is Rp and that reactance is Xp.

It seems to me that we start with a parallel inductor /resistor
suppressor circuit, the conductance (G) and susceptance (B)  of which has
an Admittance, Y.  This admittance may be converted to an equivalent
impedance, represesented as a series Xp-Rp.  The terms Rp and Xp can be
confusing because they are not part of a parallel circuit.  They are in
series, and they represent the equivalent Z of the original parallel L/R
circuit's admittance.

>Likewise when the whole network is considered as a single equivalent
>resistance and a single equivalent reactance in series, then
>that resistance is Rs and that reactance is Xs.

These are seemingly not the terms used in Wes' measurements.

Rich...