[AMPS] More amplifier experiments

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] More amplifier experiments
From: jono@webspun.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Mon, 25 May 98 10:19:02 -0500
Ok, I confess...my lack of tube design experience is becoming real
evident to me!  I might know something about RF, but the 4-1000A does
seem to be an animal.....

Yesterday I did some additional experiments on my amp.  I put in a
different tube that I had gotten from someone and this tube had a lot
more gain.  On 10 meters I was now able to put out at least 1200 watts
with AG6K's supressors.  However, I decided to do the ol' stability check
on the amp with this tube.  Guess, what, with my tune C at a minimum the
amp began to take off.  The added gain of the tube was enough to make it
happen.

And when I added the cover to the amp, it would fly even easier.

I tried a couple of other things, but to no avail.  Finally, I added a
third AG6K RL supressor in the anode line (just experimenting).  This
took care of the oscillation.  And I was down to about 1150 Watts now.

So then I went to 15 meters.  Some odd things began happening.  The load
C started popping and arcing.  And the caps position changed as well.  It
had been tuning up good with the cap at about 1/3 of maximum.  Now it
wanted to tune up with the cap fully meshed.  Previously the fully meshed
position was a false tune point.  And still all kinds of sputtering.  I
could move the cap just a hair and lose all output power.  Strange
behavior.

Then I put the lid on and all heck broke loose.  I keyed up and *BANG* it
went.  As I said before, I've been using AG6K's suppressor ideas.  He
suggests a 0.5 Ohm combination of resistors after the plate RFC.  These
resistors are what went bang.  I also blew 2 10 watt 10 Ohm current
limiting resistors (in series) on the supply side of the plate RFC.  So
something REALLY happened yesterday.

So I am looking for suggestions from anyone.  Perhaps I have a layout
problem.  I seem to have a cabinet resonance problem, etc.

And I was hoping to get the thing working this weekend!

Tom Rauch has given me some good possible suggestions for the
suppressors.  Perhaps I just need more inductance and a heftier R or
something.  Anyone else care to chip in an idea?

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden