[AMPS] More amplifier experiments

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] More amplifier experiments
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 27 May 98 11:01:04 -0800
>>>Tom Rauch has given me some good possible suggestions for the
>>>suppressors.  Perhaps I just need more inductance and a heftier R or
>>>something.  Anyone else care to chip in an idea?

What not use Mr. Rauch's unique technique for "neutralizing" a
grounded-grid amplifier?

>>Been away on a long weekend so hope I'm not duplicating here.
>>
>>I seem to recollect suggesting the new 5W metal oxide resistors from
>>Mouser more than once Jon.
>
>Yes, I know.  I've been considering ordering some.  Are metal oxide and
>metal film resistors different?

Depending on the manufacturer, Metal Film [MF] is used below a certain
resistance, and Metal Oxide Film [MOF] is used above a certain
resistance.  To increase R, the film is cut with a laser beam into a
spiral.  .  Unless one has access to a Z Analyzer, the best clue as to
likely performance of a film R in suppressor service is to scrape all of
the paint off the surface so that one can have a look at the resistive
film.  If the spiral, if any, is one turn or so, chances are the the
intrinsic L is low enough to work satisfactorily in VHF suppressor
service.  The 100 ohm Matsuchita film resistors we use in our suppressor
retrofit kits have roughly 11nH of intrinsic L.

>I've been considering looking into getting some fairly non-inductive
>resistors made by a company called Caddock Engineering. ......, their
resistor
>design has very low inductance and I figured that they might be a good
>way to go.

Measure the intrinsic L and you will know, Jon.  I would like to know the
result if you do.  .  Cesiwid Corp. can  custom make suitably low
intrinsic L resistors.  The minimum order is around $10k (1k pieces @
c.$10 ea).

Rich...