[AMPS] SB-1000 WARC usage

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-1000 WARC usage
From: rakefet@rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 11:46:56 -0700
I have the following problem with my SB-1000: Although the plate circuit tunes
18 mhz
in the 21 mhz position and 24 mhz in the 28 mhz position, it's not possible to
adjust
the input tuned circuit so that the input swr on both 18 and 21 or 24 and 28
mhz will
be acceptable to my exciter.  So, for example, if I adjust the input coil for a
good
swr on 21 mhz, the swr on 18 mhz is too high.

I'm using the amp with a TS850s that unfortunately does not have the built-in
tuner,
and its output is cut drastically enough to prevent fully driving the amp on
the warc
bands.  I've thought of the following solutions, and I'd like comments:

1) Get the internal tuner for the 850 -- expensive.

2) Use an external tuner -- a hassle, and it also needs to be switched out on
receive.

3) Add a warc switch to the input circuit that would select a different
capacitor or
coil -- messes up the panel and space is very limited.

4) Find a way to make the input circuits in the 21 and 28 mhz positions more
broadband -- best solution, if I had any idea of how to do it!

What do you all think?

Vic, K2VCO