[AMPS] Why class B??

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Why class B??
From: jduffer@mnsinc.com (James D. Duffer)
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 1998 22:55:21 -0400
Lane C. Zeitler wrote:

> Looking at my old Heathkit HA-10 Warrior I see that the designers set it up
> to be biased for Class B operation.
>
> What are the pros and cons of running class B vice g.g.??
>
> Lane
> KM3G
> San Diego
>
> --
Hi Lane,

Class B amplifiers are biased so that the input drives the tube into
conduction for 180 degrees (or about half) of the input cycle.  Thus it
is more efficient than class A which is conduction for the complete
input cycle, and less efficient than class C where the tubes conducts
less than one half of the input cycle.  The bottom line is that class of
operation is discussing the operating point and the amount the stage
conducts with reference to the input sinusoid.  The designator subscript
"2" indicates the grid draws current for a portion of the input signal.
GG or Grounded Grid is identifying the configuration of the amplifier,
there are three, grounded grid, grounded plate (or cathode follower) and
the common cathode.  These vary in there input impedance, output
impedance, voltage gain, current gain, power gains etc.  Hopes this
helps.  I'm sure you will get quite a response to you message.

73

Jim  WD4AIR