[AMPS] Why class B??

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Why class B??
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 98 18:35:07 -0500
>Looking at my old Heathkit HA-10 Warrior I see that the designers set it up
>to be biased for Class B operation.
>
>What are the pros and cons of running class B vice g.g.??

Well, Lane, do you mean class B grid driven?

There are advantages to running grid driven vs. cathode driven (g.g.).
The grid driven configuration gives quite a bit more gain.  Of course the
down side is that stability is harder to achieve and one has to have a
negative bias supply.

Class B operation as others have pointed out is when the tube only
conducts for 180 degrees of the input cycle (or half).  The advantage to
class B vs. A is that it is far more efficient.  The advantage over C is
that it is far more linear.  The difference between class AB and B is not
all the different.  AB produces a slightly cleaner signal at the expense
of less efficiency.  Generally, class B is probably sufficient for SSB as
long as you don't overdrive it very hard.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden