[AMPS] need info on PL-172 pentode

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] need info on PL-172 pentode
From: w7iuv@axtek.com (Larry Molitor)
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 22:58:22 +0100
At 22:16 8/4/98 -0700, you wrote:

>This tube was used in the Hallicrafters HT-33 amp. Can't find any data on it
>though in my handbooks. Looking for the filament voltage and current rating,
>max plate volts and various currents and voltages of the other elements. A
>web page if known where this data can be found.
>
>Any known mods to convert the HT-33 to use another tube?? reportedly this
>tube is rated at 1500 watts plate dissipation. Interesting that the company
>chose a pentode.
>
>Any info greatly appreciated.
>
>Lane
>KM3G

Lane,

The Penta Labs PL-172 is also known as the PL-8295. Don't have a clue why
there are two numbers as they share the same data sheet.

Cathode - Coated unipotential
heater voltage 6.0 volts
heater current 8.2 amps
max plate dissipation 1000 watts
AB1 power out for 3000v on plate 1590

These are right off the Penta Labs data sheet dated 1 june 1962.

As well as I can remember, there are no substitutes for them. Best
conversion might be 4CX1500 or 4CX1600.

73,
Larry - W7IUV
w7iuv@axtek.com