[AMPS] Re: RF choke resonates around 23.4 Mhz errr 22.4

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: RF choke resonates around 23.4 Mhz errr 22.4
From: gsmith.rdi@reutech.co.za (Greg Smith)
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 07:34:40 +0200
If you are prepared to live with your RF PI components at HT potential
DC-wise, you don't need a high-Z choke at all.

I have raised all mine off DC ground, taking the RF out via a trafo with the
required DC breakdown strength. (Pri and sec made from inner and screen of a
length of RG 142).  I feed the HT in via the cold end of the trafo.

It is not really an added safety hazard, since the plate choke, if present,
is at HT potential anyway.  I suppose it could be argued that the surface
area, and hence probability of skin contact, is increased slightly.

I removed the plate coupling cap, and placed it between the cold end of the
PI components and ground.

If anyone would like more details, please contact me direct.  Make your own
decisions on the safety angle!

73, Greg, ZS5K