[AMPS] one-upmanship

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] one-upmanship
From: k1ta@earthlink.net (Bob Marston)
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 07:15:35 -0700
At 01:20 AM 10/18/98 -0800, you wrote:

>>The amps reflector has been and continues to be a source of useful
>>information to me.I just wish I had some way of filtering out all this
>>one-upmanship crap that goes on daily.C'mon guys you know who you are
>>cut it out please!
>>Can we start a petition :)
>>
>>73 de Conrad G0RUZ
>
>This is an unavoidable part of debating, esp. with males.  High power
>linear amplifiers are more complex machines than they seem, so there are
>bound to be an ample supply of opinions floating about.  .  However, in
>time, science, mathematics, and reason will prevail.
>-  cheers, Conrad.
>

>Rich...

Hi Rich and Conrad

Yes there is a considerable amount of One-upmanship on this list. Some of
it productive, while much of it destructive. What is NOT called for is
personal attack. I have no problem vigorously addressing the remarks of a
poster or having my remarks treated the same way. I am all for poking fun
at postings. I would think in the course of civil discourse the
participants on this list would adhere to one rule. STICK TO WHAT THE GUY
IS SAYING. Yes I know personal attack is a technique used in debate...it's
usually a sign that you're losing...and guarantees a response inkind. And
very rarely does personnal attack add anything to the process of resolving
the proposition at hand. That's my take

73s
Bob K1TA