[AMPS] Line input wiring

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Line input wiring
From: ab4ru@stc.net (Ron Hooper)
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 23:39:41 +0000
> >I'm wiring my new ham shack and am confronted with several different
> >240V outlet types, some are 3 wire, and some are 4 wire.

Use 3 wire Plugs. You will find several different configurations but if
you notice on the plug it will have a voltage/amp rating. Make sure your
plug is rated for 240 and has the proper amp rating for the amp's
current rating. The 4 wire versions are for 3 phase or special
applications on specialized equipment using a neutral seperate from the
ground.

> >The question is:  What is the number of wires in the typical commercial
> >amp power line cord, one that should be run on 240V?
> >
> >I'm presently using a 3 wire input to my amp, which operates on 240V.
> >The neutral line connects to the low side of the amp control circuitry
> >which needs 120V.   Chassis is connected to the station earth ground.

All the amps I have used on 240 volts, single phase, have been 3 wire.

> >Should I use a 4 wire outlet and bring the power line ground from the
> >breaker box to connect to the amp chassis?

Its not necessary if you ground the chassis to the neutral in most cases
here in the states. If you were in Europe or some other countries around
the world, the 4th wire is a requirment to meet standards. It would
basically be connected to the same terminals as the neutral in the box
and serves as an ADDITIONAL ground in case the other one breaks or comes
loose. You only have 3 wires coming in your house now. There is more to
it than parrelling the ground wire but was trying to get the point
accross.

Ron