[AMPS] Dollars per dB

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Dollars per dB
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 16:48:20 -0500

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999 14:22:30 -0600 Jon Ogden <jono@enteract.com> writes:

>>A KW amp used properly will possibly reduce ur electric bill. There
>is
>>nothing more aggravating in a pileup than to listen to the 100W wet
>>noodle stations causing non stop QRM for hours.  I prefer the in and
>out
>>procedure myself.  Did enough of that hours long crap years ago.
>
>Agreed.
>
>Having been a DX station lately, one appreciates the guys who run
>power.
>It is far easier to pick out a stong signal out of a pileup than
>trying
>to pick out everyone at 100 Watts.
>
>In the past I have argued that one is better off dumping money into a
>
>better antenna and have a 1KW amp vs. a 1.5 KW amp.  To an extent that
>is
>true, but it is certainly not a maxim one should always go by.

There are enough options that anyone can fit a decent signal into a
budget, small lot, etc.

>The article a couple of months ago in QST made it sound like you never
>need a PA.

One of the worse examples and most biased I have ever read. Pure bozo
land. When was the last time anyone has read a credible amp article in
QST ?

>WRONG!  If one doubts the effectiveness of QRO operation, then I'd
>suggest they go and compare contest scores for low power stations vs.
>
>high power stations.  Power makes a BIG difference.

Jon, if you have enough time and patience you can make Honor Roll on 5W.
But those are usually the hams that live on the radio, ignore families,
or more likely havent taken a bath in 6 months and cant find a woman that
would live with them. Just go to Dayton and observe.
One wag observed that if  Dayton was nuked during Hamvention the gene
pool in the US would improve considerably!

I have an active family, a real job and no interest in living in the
basement.

Before you comment, I also have 305 DXCC cfmd on 40M over the years with
5W but a 4el KLM at 140' thru 180' at various QTH's has helped a wee bit.

As I said a day or so ago, 100W is OK for filament power only, if you
dont want to play in the noise level.

73  Carl  KM1H
Life is too Short for QRP

>73,
>
>Jon
>KE9NA

>Jon Ogden
>KE9NA
>
>http://www.qsl.net/ke9na    <--- CHECK IT OUT!  It's been
>updated!!!!!

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]