[AMPS] Dollars per dB

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Dollars per dB
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 09:09:38 -0500

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999 01:52:56 -0600 n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL) writes:

>On Sat, 2 Jan 1999 16:48:20 -0500 km1h@juno.com writes:
>>

>>Jon, if you have enough time and patience you can make
>>Honor Roll on 5W.
>
>       Yep.  One W5 has done it.  AA2U may be there.
>       N4KG is close.  (Guess I should have tried for XZ1N )
>
>>But those are usually the hams that live on the radio,   PROBABLY
>> ignore families,     POSSIBLY,   or Don't Have Families
>>or more likely havent taken a bath in 6 months
>       GETTING A LITTLE FAR OUT HERE  CARL
>>and cant find a woman that would live with them.
>>      NOT  ALWAYS  THE  CASE

Yep, that was pushing it to the extreme but I suspect we all know of at
least one of those!

>       You forgot to mention people who spend too much
>       time on the reflectors talking about radio instead of
>       doing radio!    (oops,  guess that hits many of us)

All too true. Worked a number of guys on 6/2M MS Sunday that commented
that it was nice to hear me on the air!

>Just go to Dayton and observe. One wag observed
>>that if  Dayton was nuked during Hamvention the gene
>>pool in the US would improve considerably!
>
>       This may apply to some segments of the hobby
>       but seems less likely among those who actually
>       pursue  serious   goals,  whatever they may be,
>       such as DX, or Contesting,  VHF, and even QRP.
>
>       I recall my first visit to Dayton when I was a student
>       at the Univ of Michigan.  While hanging out with some
>       of the contest crowd in one of the Jersey DX suite rooms,
>       I couldn't help but notice the average level of education
>       in that room was probably a Master's Degree.  Most of
>       those same guys were still there the last time I attended
>       as well.     N4KG

Tom, of course not everyone was included, a thin skin is showing over a
small attempt at humor.

>>I have an active family, a real job and no interest in living in the
>>basement.
>>Before you comment, I also have 305 DXCC cfmd on 40M over the years
>>with 5W but a 4el KLM at 140' thru 180' at various QTH's has helped a
>
>>wee bit.
>>
>       Carl,  I have done my share of serious QRP contesting
>       and DXing and I  KNOW  you did not work 305 countries
>       on 40M  QRP  while attending  PTA  meetings!

Absolutely NO PTA meetings for me, cant stand them damn union teachers
and  conniving administrators. I send my wife.

>       You are beginning to sound like one of those
>       "the less you do it, the better you are"  kind of
>       non-participants.    If you need a break from
>       your heavy involvement, take a break, but don't
>       bash the serious guys who still enjoy this hobby.
>       Amateur radio gets enough bashing from outside
>       the hobby.  Let's focus on the positive aspects
>       and encourage more enjoyment and participation.
>       de  N4KG

The last not worthy of a reply.

>>As I said a day or so ago, 100W is OK for filament power only, if
>you
>>dont want to play in the noise level.
>>
>>73  Carl  KM1H
>>Life is too Short for QRP
>>
>       Sounds like a case of  burnout  to  me.
>       Take up another challenge and renew your vigor.

I have. Its called the World Above 50MHz.  At least I dont spend my time
in HF pileups working the same country over and over again.....I do
listen to several alligators tho  (- :

>       ENJOY  !

Always!!

>       HNY  de   Tom   N4KG