[AMPS] Ripple current ratings of high voltage caps.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Ripple current ratings of high voltage caps.
From: John_Nelson@compuserve.com (John Nelson)
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 05:09:58 -0500
Message text written by Rich Measures

>As I understand it, the lifespan of an electrolytic capacitor approx.
doubles for each ten degrees C below its rated operating temp.  --
provided that the temp. stays above the minimum allowable.<

>From an STC application note:

"Reducing the element temperature greatly extends the life of the
electrolytic capacitor. A component which is endurance tested for 1000
hours with an element temperature of 85C can have a life expectancy of
100,000 hours at an element temperature of 40C...The leakage current
follows a logarithmic law, approximately doubling for each 10C increase in
temperature."

>From an RS Components application note:

"As a rule of thumb, the useful life of an electrolytic capacitor can be
considered to reduce by a factor of 2 for each 10C increase in operating
temperature..."

John Nelson
GW4FRX