[AMPS] Follow Up on the SB-220 Follow UP

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Follow Up on the SB-220 Follow UP
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 99 11:06:00 -0600
>> If you
>>think that he had a parasitic event while unkeyed, please explain how
>>this could happen.  I always belived that a tube in cutoff would be very
>>hard to get oscillating.  You also told me this once.
>>
>?  The how part beats me.  It has not happened to me, however, I have
>talked to a number of those who have had it happen.  How do we know it
>was a parasite?  Bent fil. helix / sudden change in suppressor resistance
>/ 6kV bandswitch arcs in amp. with 3kV anode supply, are clues.

I guess it happens to those who think that every bang is a parasitic
oscillation.  For one, with proper suppressor resistors you shouldn't have an
oscillation.  I don't think the oscillation changes the value of the resistors.
 Rather, I think the resistor values change over time and over being heated up.
 Then you can get an oscillation because of bad resistors and hence a
suppressor not performing properly.

But the only thing that blew in this guy's amp was a resistor.  Don't think he
had the beloved parasite.

73,

Jon
KE9NA