[AMPS] parasitic suppressors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] parasitic suppressors
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 13:35:20 +0100

> Rich said yesterday:
>
> > The Q of resistance-wire falls with increasing f.
>
> Today he says (In answer to:
>
> >I still don't see any answer as to why the Q of a resistance wire
> inductor
> >should actually be less as frequency increases than a parallel R-L
> >combination)
>
> ?  It isn't.
>
> I'm confused. Does the Q fall with increasing frequency for the resistance
> wire suppressor? If so, why, since theory says it should increase tha
> ratio of delta.F/sq. rt. delta. F?
>
> >In a typical parasite suppressor, roughly equal vhf currents flow through
>
> >R-sup and L-sup.
>
> Why? If the tube is not oscillating at VHF, where do these VHF currents
> come from? If it is, then the parasitic suppressor isn't working, and why
> should the currents then be equal?
>

        >Parallel R-L circuits are said to have an admittance. Series R-L
circuits
        >are said to have an impedance.

        That's a convention for making the maths easy. You can deal with
either as the other using the principles of duality; impedance may well be
easier for some people (like me) to visualise, rather than calculate.
Admittance is only the reciprocal of impedance.

        Yesterday, Rich said that the measurements on the copper wire
suppressor were:

> At 100MHz, the copper-wire suppressor Wes measured an Rp of 166 ohms >(and
Q = 2.2), while the resistance-wire suppressor had an Rp of101 ohms >(and Q
=1.5).  Sure, resistance-wire does not offer a spectacular >improvement over
copper and silver wire suppressors, but 40% is nothing to >sneeze at.

However,  I asked

>>In these measurements of suppressors, what was the value of the shunting
>>resistance?

>?  100 ohms.

That must be an awful 100 ohm resistor that put in a parallel with an
inductor gave a parallel resistance of 166 ohms. Until we hear what the 100
ohms resistor measured on its own, I have difficulties with either that
measurement result or the idea of it being 100 ohms.

73

Peter G3RZP