[AMPS] Alpha/Power and Henry Radio

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Alpha/Power and Henry Radio
From: broz@csn.net (John Brosnahan)
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:18:14 -0600
Just wanted to publicly thank RadioDan for his help
at the Fresno DX Convention this weekend.

Alpha/Power is the only company that demonstrates
their amps at full power at ham conventions but there
is always some risk and this year at Fresno we had
some UPS damage that resulted in a damaged Bird
QC connector on our dummy load.  The UHF connector
was destroyed and the Bird load was leaking oil.

It was especially important to do a live demo this year
at Fresno since we were giving a sneak preview of
an upgrade to the Alpha 87A that adds true autotune
capability, allowing the 87A to detect a change in
parameters and adjust itself to compensate for such
things as a change in drive, a change of antennas, and
a change in frequency.

Dan was very gracious in his offer to loan me a Bird QC
connector from one of his Henry VHF amplifiers.  This allowed
me (with the help of an N-UHF adapter from Mike Lamb)
to do our demostration of the new autotune function as planned.

Dan also insisted that I keep the connector for the shipment
home in order to help limit the amount of leaking oil until we
can get the Teflon section of the Bird repaired.

It was just very gratifying to see such cooperation between
two competitors.  I even offered to do something in return for
Dan's help -- such as a discount on an Alpha!   As hoped, he
appreciated my humor.

73 and Thanks to RadioDan!

John Brosnahan    W0UN
President and Technical Director