[AMPS] ICE VHF bandpass filters

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ICE VHF bandpass filters
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 99 16:19:17 -0500
>Had a 412 on the output of a 100 watt transceiver, worked fine for 3 ssb cq
>calls and poofed midway thru the second CW cq call. Never got hot, not in
>service long enough, VSWR was 1.2:1 prior to failure so I was kind of miffed.
>Sent it back to ICE and they PROMPTLY replaced it, I have not yet put the
>replacement in service.  Total time in service for the first one was < 5 min.

Sounds very similar to my experiences.  My 2 meter units failed
IMMEDIATELY upon keydown.  The 6M one lasted through a couple of SSB CQs
and then on my second CW CQ it failed.

Both times I have talked to a guy at ICE who claims that their filters
can handle power levels well above what they are rated.  He also said
that they test them by running 200 Watts into a 7:1 VSWR.  I find it hard
to believe.

I should get my 2 2M units back today or tomorrow.  I'll test them out
promptly and see what happens.  Please let me know how your units fare.

I've now had 2 people in addition to myself say they've had failures.
I'll continue to collect information and then go back to ICE with it.
They claim they have thousands out there with no failures whatsoever.

The problem should be simple to fix.  Just put in higher voltage mica
caps or more of them so that they can handle the current.  I believe it
is RF current that is killing them as opposed to RF voltages.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden