[AMPS] FCC Actions at Dayton

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] FCC Actions at Dayton
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 20:25:38 -0500

>Each ham can only build or modify ONE amplifier per "YEAR" for operations on
>frequencies between 24 and 100 MHz without having to apply for type
>acceptance.

OK.  Now I understand.  So if I make 10 4-1K amps and sell them, I
violate the rules.  Understood.

Now, what if I make more than one amp for my own personal use?  That is
not in violation is it?  Say I want to make monoband amps for 160 thru 6
Meters.  That's OK, right?

>I just hope some of the guy's here on this reflector - especially up in the
>north east keep that in mind when they offer 10 and more modified amps
>mostly on 6m per year for sale.

I don't think they are offering the amps for sale.  Rather they are
offering to do modifications to already existing amps.  Don't know where
that fits in to the law.

>I was informed that Hollingsworth just loves reflectors and newsgroups :-).
>I used to work for ETO and we had to go through quite some restrictions to
>get type acceptance. Its about time that the FCC puts an end to the abuse of
>the regulations. Too many enterprising hams have put too much crap onto the
>market and let the average Joe ham who does not have the required technical
>knowledge or testgear to verify that the gear is FCC compliant or not  bear
>the burden.

Agreed.  Having done FCC type acceptances/certification in a past life
yes they are a pain and quite extensive.  And yes there is too much out
there that the dial spinners don't know enuf about.

>I personally applaud the FCC to finally do the right thing.

Agreed.  I had the pleasure of sitting at the table next to Mr.
Hollingsworth's table at Applebee's during lunch last Friday at Dayton.
I thanked him for his work.  And it also gave me great pleasure to
realize that the FCC was at Dayton when I saw all the illegal CB amps for
sale out there.  Made me chuckle.

Anywho, I just hope that it doesn't go so far that if someone literally
has a 4CX10,000 amp that they don't get written up.  Nothing in the law
states that amplifier capability is limited only the power you put into
the antenna.  Just like a car that can go 150 but is driven at 65.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden
KE9NA

http://www.qsl.net/ke9na