[AMPS] Re: Ferrite Rod for 6M Amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Ferrite Rod for 6M Amp
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 99 09:23:13 -0500
>Mixers are always non-linear devices, if they aren't they won't
>"mix". Why doesn't the mixer in your receiver create close-in IMD
>or cross modulate?

Mixers do generate intermod products.  However, we have to define what is
an "acceptable" level of intermodulation distortion.  A mixer driven at
proper levels with a proper LO applied will produce negligible
distortion.  If IM performance improvements are desired, a mixer with a
higher LO drive capability can be used.

The mixer in your receiver WILL generate IM in the presense of strong
signals (such as in a contest weekend!).  That's why on almost all rigs
you have a front end attenuation setting. On the fancier rigs like the
FT-1000 series, you have a preamp that you can switch in and out and
several attenuation levels you can switch in and out as well.

As to Tom's comment about 1/2 cycle single stage amps producing more
distortion than a push-pull amp, I agree with him.  Distortion (IM
products) are dependent upon bias conditions (conduction angle) not how
many tubes you use.  If that were the case, you could build a class C
linear amplifier with many tubes!  Two tubes each running in opposite
half cycles will produce just as much IM products as a single tube.
Perhaps this myth got started from the fact that perhaps at one time
someone's exciter when driven hard produced a lot of IM.  So, the guy
built an amp with two tubes, cut his drive level in half an viola!
reduced his IM.  But that had everything to do with a crappy exciter and
not the amp.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na