[AMPS] Re: Ferrite Rod for 6M Amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Ferrite Rod for 6M Amp
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 99 08:53:51 -0500
>In any properly designed receiver, the IMD performance of the RF amp will be
>a relatively small contribution. The mixer, and occasionally, high frequency
>crystal filters are the major causes of IMD. Switching off the RF amp
>reduces signal levels into the mixer, and thus mixer IMD. Getting the
>performance in an RF amp is relatively easy, especially if you use noiseless
>feedback and a good linear transistor running well in Class A with plenty of
>current.

I stand corrected.  And now that I think about it, I don't know why I
rushed to agree with Tom.  If the IM distortion was caused just be the
preamps in rigs like the FT-1000D and mixers are hard to overdrive, then
I would expect my FT-840 to have better receiver IM performance (no
preamp).  It doesn't.  And also if mixers can't be over-driven easily (as
Tom suggests) then why do they include additional fron end attenuation
levels on rigs like the FT-1000D?

Shame on me, I should have thought my post through more thoroughly before
responding!

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na